The Nucleotide Complex is composed of a commercial office and a state-of-the-art laboratory, with a total of 256,000 sq. ft. of leasable area. It’s designed to house various environmental businesses, energy productionand Life Sciences businesses with activities ranging from research and product development, manufacturing & production and equipment training activities. Additionally, the facility has provision for commercial offices catering to sales and marketing as well as showrooms.
General Technical Features for the Laboratory
- Core and shell lab space that can accommodate up to 160 laboratory units.
- The lab units are designed to meet up to Class III of Bio-safety Standards/Guidelines.
- All lab units have a dedicated space for a Biological Safety Cabinet with an exhaust system to enable air filtering.
- Air exhaust & ventilation system are provided to prevent cross contamination of air.
- Acid resistant drainage & pH neutralisation systems for safe chemical discharge/waste.
- Sterilized high quality stainless steel mechanical equipments to ensure high standards of hygiene.
- Emergency power system (Electrical & Air) is installed in case of main grid power failure.
- Lab facilities such as water systems, drainage systems and vacuum/air systems.
The Heating Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC) systems for the laboratory areas will be engineered to support the programme requirements as follows:
- Once-through 100% treated conditioned air for all laboratory spaces
- To prevent cross contamination.
- Air handling equipment:
- Each wing is served by dedicated air handling units.
- Basement: Separate system provides N+1 reliability.
- 95% efficient (ASHRAE dust spot efficiency) final filters are provided.
- Air handling units are connected to a common intake.
Laboratory Exhaust Systems
The building contains several exhaust systems as part of its base core and shell. . Specialty hoods can be connected to the central system.
The building’s exhaust system consists of the following:
- Each wing is served by multiple (minimum of two) exhaust fans to provide general exhaust to the laboratory areas.
- Heat recovery coils are installed in the laboratory exhaust system.
- Laboratory exhaust is diluted 500 times prior to discharging into the atmosphere;
- Located 20 meters above the roof of the lab building.
Temperature and “Pressurization” Control
- Minimum of 6 air changes per hour
- Single pass air (no return)
- Room heat load is considered, and design room temperature/humidity settings are met.
- Lab airflow is negative in respect to adjacent, non-lab areas
Compressed Air system
Located in the basement equipments room, the air-cooled air compressors will deliver dried, filtered and compressed air to each of the floor’s wing. The carrying network is made of table – Y copper pipes. Each outlet has a 1 CFM of 10 bar compressed air, but can be adjusted by the use of the dedicated adjustable pressure reducing valves.
The hazardous fumes produced in the laboratories are collected under a negatively pressurized network, filtered and then discharged to the surrounding roof atmosphere passing through a flame arrestor. The triplex central vacuum pumping system is located in the basement of the building and connected to a network of copper pipes, fittings and valves.
Water RO/DI (Reverse Osmosis/De-Ionization) Systems
The water purification system, the RO/DI main equipment for this building, is located in the basement. The water is purified, filtered and softened according to laboratory standards prior to being distributed to the building through a network of copper pipes, fittings valves and gauges.
Laboratory Waste Management and Drainage System
Laboratory waste water is treated and the pH is adjusted prior to being dispatched to the acceptable municipality sewage system standards. The pH adjustment equipments and pumps are sized to treat the entire, expected laboratory water wastage with efficiency. The acid waste is transferred safely from the entire building to the basement storage tank through robust PPFR schedule-40 drainage piping system.
Telecommunication / IT
The building is supplied with a category-6 structural cabling system, capable of carrying voice, data and CATV signals over a backbone of fibre and category-3 cables; in line with Du requirements. Each wing is equipped with 6 consolidation points for the future Business Partner, to connect to, at their convenience.
Chilled Water System
The required quantity and pressure of chilled water for facilities is provided year round from the central chilled water system. Chilled water is drawn from the chillers’ system.
- Electrical services to the Laboratory Building is supplied from the utility (DEWA) 11 KV primary loop. A transformer vault located on the first level is provided to house the utility supplied transformers. Preliminary loads indicated (5) 1.5 KVA transformers are required to provide secondary distribution at 220/380V, 50 Hz, 3 phase, 4 wire.
- The utility revenue metering is located on each of the transformers’ secondaries. Individual tenant meters are also located in the local electrical rooms.
- The main electrical room located immediately adjacent to the transformer vault houses the service entrance switchgear, distribution panels, automatic transfer switch, tenant power plug-in bus-duct, and tenant metering.
- Smaller electrical rooms located in the core on floors 1, 2, and 3 house distribution panels, Business Partner power plug-in bus-duct and Business Partner metering.
- The power distribution equipment allows 25% spare capacity.
- The standby generator, complete with weather/noise-protected non-walk-in enclosure, silencer, radiation, automatic engine start, load transfer equipment and engine accessories are furnished and installed for this project. The 500KW standby generator is sized to provide power to emergency lighting.
The Nucleotide Complex is designed to function under strict safety conditions with the use of several monitoring and intervening systems, which are designed in accordance with NFPA standards and as per Dubai Civil Defence requirements:
Fire Suppression System
The system comprises of a network of wet risers and sprinklers, which are kept ready under pressurized water. In case the electrical pump fails during an emergency condition, a standby diesel pump will take lead in providing water for the system.
Fire alarm system
A network of dedicated addressable heat and smoke detectors continuously monitor the building for any fire or smoke hazards. The system is capable of isolating the building from the fresh air inlet and activates the smoke extraction fans. The system will automatically call Dubai Civil Defence in case of a fire emergency.
In conformity with the green vision of TECOM Investments; the Nucleotide Complex is designed as the first LEED-certified laboratory in the MENA region. The LEED Certified Nucleotide Complex will improve occupant well-being, environmental performance and the economic returns of the buildings. As the “Greenest” Labs in the Middle East region, the Nucleotide Complex has many features to ensure the comfort and safety of Business Partners, whilst reducing their environmental impact. This in turn reduces distractions and improves overall productivity.
Indoor Air Quality
The building is armed with an array of features to protect the health of the tenants such as:
- Higher intake of fresh air compared to conventional buildings through HVAC systems and operable windows.
- Tenant-controlled thermostats to accommodate individual heating and cooling needs.
- “No Smoking” policy inside and outside within 25 feet of the building entrances.
- Lower emissions of pollutants and toxic particulates in the premises through the use of low emitting environmentally friendly materials in common area fit outs such as paints and carpets.
The lab is designed to harvest optimal daylight exposure through use of:
- Strategically placed windows, with direct views for tenants in 90% of the occupied spaces.
- Lighting controls for greater occupancy control over light levels.
- No glare through solar shading.
By setting up an office in these premises you will benefit from the building’s energy and water saving features such as:
- Energy efficient lighting, heating, cooling systems and electrical appliances.
- Enhanced thermal insulation to reduce air conditioning needs.
- Installed water restrictors on all water fixtures to reduce the overall water consumption.
- Ongoing monitoring and maintenance ensure better performance of the building.
- Individual sub-meters are installed for all Business Partners to enable tracking of consumption.
- Commissioning process activities ensure that energy systems are running smoothly and efficiently.
DuBiotech is implementing a comprehensive recycling programme for Business Partners.
Tenant Design Guideline
While tenants will fit out their spaces, DuBiotech provides a comprehensive Tenant Design Guideline to aid in designing a green, environmentally-friendly office. (For a copy of the guideline, contact DuBiotech’s Partner Relations Manager).
External Site Features
Heat island effect is reduced through the use of reflective roof materials, shaded parking lots and maximisation of open space surrounding the buildings.
The building materials used for this project have been extracted, harvested or recovered, as well as manufactured from areas within 500 miles of the project site. This reduces carbon emissions compared to shipping materials from abroad.
- Laboratory space for biological and/or chemical lab
- Core & shell commercial office
- Semi fitted-out commercial office
- Fully fitted-out business centre
- Retail space
- Conference rooms
- Dedicated parking space
- Common utilities
- Storage areas